Tendli Pickle (gherkins)
Submitted by Blanche Da Costa
- 100 tendlis (gherkins)
- 3 tsps salt
- 12.5 tsp chilly powder
- 1 ½ tbsp turmeric
- 40 flakes garlic
- 3 inch piece ginger
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 ½ cup oil
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- sugar as needed according to your taste
- Cut tendlis (cut each tendli length wise to get 4 pieces), add salt and leave in the sun for an hour.
- Drain any water that might collect.
- Grind all the spices using vinegar, to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a large pan, add the mustard seeds then add the spice paste and fry the spice paste over low heat for a minute.
- Stir in sugar and add the tendlis, cook till just tender. Do not overcook.
- If necessary add more sugar, salt and vinegar, cool and bottle.